Restoration Hardware Reviews

Show reviews that mention
customer service customer service order delivery furniture store items quality money
Filter review

Failed furniture delivery with no resolution

I purchase two bedrooms from Restoration Hardware during their 'Friends and Family' event. The 20% off really just covered the tax and shipping [which is 10%+ of your order], so the cost was still substantial. The furniture was delivered to the wrong address. I had noticed this is confimation emails that the delivery address was wrong and delat three times with the company to fix before delivery. RH had already noticed the error and had said that a fix was in the system before I even contacted them the first time. I spoke to approx 7 people in Customer Service and in the store to resolve the issue. THe furniture was never delivered, I never received update calls within 24 hours as promised, I never received any credits promised due to the error, I never received a gift certificate promised because of the on-going errors. Upon cancellation of the order, I received three calls from Customer Service asking if I wanted to continue with the order. Restoration Hardware [RH] did not honor any of their promises to me in calls, credits, or eventually the order. They did, however, manage to charge my credit card and waste numerous hours of phone calls to straighten out a problem that they already knew about. I truly believe that there was no intention of filling the order due to the numerous promises of credit and gift certificates making the transaction unprofitable. I think they never shipped to save any loss and did not care about the customer. I did not hear from Customer Service until after I cancelled the order and never got a call from the delivery company to delivery at the proper address. Beware; if they make a costly mistake, you will probably not get your purchase and waste a lot of time and money.

From which metro market did this occur ?

ID
#209876 Review #209876 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Arlington, Virginia

Restoration Hardware? More like Desperation

Back in late March 2008 we had placed an order for a headboard and two dressers from your Restoration Hardware dba as Brocade. While we were informed that part of the furniture was back ordered, it would take 4-6 weeks for our delivery which we felt that was still reasonable. In mid June, after still not hearing on the status of our order and due to our increasing frustration, I reached out to their corporate offices After multiple discussions, we were finally informed that our bedroom furniture was to be delivered on SEPTEMBER 3RD!!. Imagine our elation after waiting approximately 5 months for our order, and we arranged to have (at our expense) our bedroom furniture removed and donated the night before. Their delivery carrier, Excel informed me that delivery would be between 3:30PM and 7:30PM I called that morning and was told that delivery would be between 5:30 and 6 PM. At 9:20 they finally arrived (who delivers furniture at 9:20 in the evening???) and they cracked the headboard while attempting to bring it in so needless to say we refused it. The irony of all of this is when I called the following Monday to see when I can get a replacement I was told "sorry that product's discontinued". That entire order left us so drained we swore to avoid "Desperation Hardware" for the rest of our lives. Flash forward to June 2010 and with a new home we had someone graciously give us a Restoration Hardware gift certificate. Cautiously, I finally broke down and decided to order something on line. When I realized that you actually can't pay with a gift certificate on line you can call the number on the gift certificate to place an order. So, I call up, certificate in hand all ready to place my order and they tell me that I have to actually pay for my order with a credit card, mail them my gift certificate and wait to get re-imbursed. Seriously? Are you kidding me? I am so completely floored that it made me start thinking about everything I despise about this company that I had to finally get it off my chest. Do yourself a favor and avoid "Desperation Hardware" like it had the plauge.

I ordered an upholstered headboard that took almost 3 months to arrive. The "white glove" delivery guys scratched my walnut floors & improperly installed the headboard so it looks like it is falling over. I called the company who ordered someone to come out & fix it, who proceeded to stand me up 2xs...when I called about getting someone else to come out, I asked about the floors & said I never heard back about them. I was very rudely told that the claim had been closed and there was nothing I could do about it. After asking to speak to a manager, it came out that the guys who scratched the floor said that 1) the scratches were already there 2) I wouldnt allow them to take pictures. These are the same guys who bullied me after it happened saying that I cant tell on them because they would get in trouble as they are not allowed to move furniture...their moving the bench at the end of the bed scratched my floors. They closed the claim based on what the guys said without even contacting me.

In the meantime I ordered a wall shelving unit that arrived crushed & a "silver" lamp that arrived a yellowed color.

My imagine of this company being a respectable & high end company was wrong!!!!

Buyer Beware!!!!!

I have had nothing but incompetence and rudeness from the moving company Restoration Hardware uses, Excell Direct. I am a teacher and I clarified over and over that I get home at 2:30 pm.

They kept calling me at school and saying "we're at your house" at Noon! Over and over the store would arrange an afternoon pick-up for the dining furniture, and one month later they have yet to pick up anything. I have gotten the runaround and spent hours trying to return this furniture which the store said was no problem. Really!!!

I will never buy anything from Restoration again and I advise any consumer "Buyer Beware". Corporate is just a call center, so don't think you will get anything resolved with them.

yeah....good luck with that. What sucked for me was I got rid of ALL of my bedroom furniture the night before the delivery. Had to go out any buy from another company.

Sent a certified letter to the CEO and never heard back.

I totally agree with this review. I ordered an expensive leather sofa from these guys and was given a date of delivery, well it's month past the delivery time and no one can tell me where my sofa is located.

Lake Forest, California

Restoration Hardware has Worst customer service

We had a very bad experience with purchasing from Restoration Hardware. Purchased a the Sutter dinning room set a couple of years ago. The wood base and table top since cracked and it took month of pleating with R.H. to getting it fixed. More recently, we wanted to use our leaf for the first time, and realized it didn't fit. Once again, it was a nightmare getting it taken car of. The leaf was clearly from a different table, but Restoration Hardware's customer support simply doesn't care. The subcontract they sent out, said it couldn't be fixed, and since the set had been discontinued there was nothing the company could do. Restoration Hardware has serious customer service issued, but as I told the lady on the phone, they have lost a customer for life.

I ordered a couch in November that they said would arrive in 10 days if i ordered the same color and fabric as is on the floor. I did so, it has now been three months and still no couch.

I have called on a weekly basis in order to get updates that generally consist of them telling me they won't know for sure when the couch will be ready. What's more, when I asked about other couches available, they looked into it and NOTHING is available. How is a furniture of that size not able to provide ANYTHING?

I never recommend shopping there!!!!

Beyond frustrating to deal with!

They also fraudulently charge your credit card

#151932

i actually work there. its worse than u think.

I also have the sutter table. I have the savana chairs, but am looking for the sheridan slip cover parson chairs.

If you have these chairs and would like to sell them please contact me. marni.paulo@***.com

Cleveland, Ohio

Don't look for help from Restoration Hardware

Please don't hold your breath waiting for Restoration Hardware to help you with your Brocade Home issue. I purchased 2 items from Restoration Hardware early this summer. They did not work in my new house, so I returned them to the nearest store - and have a return receipt to prove. It has been more than 10 weeks, and I still have only received credit for 1 of the 2 items, in spite of repeated correspondence with RH customer service AND filing a complaint with American Express. So, if RH can't take care of their own customers, don't expect help on one of their subsidiary brands.
Grandville, Michigan

Restoration Hardware Delivery Operations

Restoration Hardware - Horrible Delivering What You Buy. 8:29pm If you're ever in the market for some furniture, don't order it from Restoration Hardware. They have a PLAGUE of incompetence running rampant in their logistics operation. I thought maybe we ran into a little bit of bad luck a year ago when we ordered our bed. And then we ordered our night stand. This couldn't possibly be the real Restoration Hardware, they're a great company, look at the quality of their things, I thought. And again when Tiffiny ordered her bathroom cabinet. I still can't believe it. They're a national chain; there's just no way a company like this could REALLY be this horrible under the covers. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt. And now when we ordered our couch. Each time a separate incident. All separate orders, months apart. EACH with a headache during the delivery process -- from being back ordered, to being rescheduled for delivery (on their end, over four times) to showing up at their warehouse and "needing to be sent back to their headquarters because it arrived with scratches all over it." (They would call and tell us this before they even attempted to deliver the thing). We thought, maybe it's just that Tampa's fulfillment is horrendous. It couldn't possibly all of Restoration Hardware. We just moved to Richmond and ordered a couch. We were told 10-14 days for delivery. On the 14th day, we called them to ask what its status was. "Oh, that's on back order Mr. Gallagher, didn't anyone contact you?" So then we e-mailed. An e-mail was supposed to be answered within 24 hours, it wasn't. We have to wait a month and a half now for our couch! All of these orders have had MAJOR respective delivery problems. Yes, they have nice stuff, but if you are buying something they have to deliver and you can't walk out of the store with it, BEWARE. It's like banging your head up against a wall. I'm threw. We would've been life long customers because we like the quality of their things, but how many times do you have to get disappointed before you're a fool for continuing to shop there. I never write these letters, but it's just ridiculous. DOWN RIGHT. www.linkedin.com/linkryan
Richmond, Virginia

Restoration Hardware Fails to Deliver

I placed order with Restoration Hardware (RH) in early June 2008 for an Ebony British Cane double crema sink (included base, sinks and top) as well as two Ebony medicine cabinets. The base/sink/top set was scheduled for delivery on July 11th, however, only the top/sink was delivered to my house on that date. When we called to see where the base was, we were told that we only ordered the top. Flabbergasted, I spent hours on the phone with RH to straighten out the order. Despite the fact that both the catalog that I ordered from, and the customer service agent who took my order, confirmed that I had indeed ordered a base and top set, and that all pieces were in stock, RH refused to acknowledge this and charged me an additional $600 plus tax/shipping for the base! As I had no sink in the bathroom, I paid. Now Ebony was out of stock and everything had to be Tobacco. Upon RH's direction, I refused delivery of the top, and instructed the delivery agent to hold the top until the base arrived. They also said to return the Ebony medicine cabinets at RH's expense as the Ebony base was no longer available and everything now needed be in Tobacco. Despite their promise to fix this problem at their expense, RH charged me for the shipping of the medicine cabinets. In the meantime, I had also ordered a matching Ebony mirror which had to be switched to Tobacco as well. On July 11th the Ebony mirror order was cancelled and replaced with a Tobacco mirror order. Nevertheless, I was charged for the Ebony mirror, which never arrived, AND the tobacco mirror, which was sent missing the hardware needed to hang it. It too had to be returned. I await refunds for both mirrors. The base (paid for twice) and top were scheduled for delivery again on July 25th. Without calling me, the delivery agent decided not to deliver the set because the top/sink was now damaged. I do believe that since the top had been at the delivery agent's warehouse for over three weeks at that point, they should have know before delivery day that the top was broken and should have been able to get a replacement top prior to the day of delivery. But they didn't. After the 2nd failed delivery, I spoke with 3 different customer service agents over 4 days. Wendy, James and Kevin all promised to resolve the problem & call back; none did. On the 5th day I spoke with Emily. After emailing her copies of the catalog that I used to order the original sink/base/top set, she did acknowledge that I paid for the entire set initially and agreed that the $600 + should be refunded - but this has not yet been done. Thankfully, she also expedited the shipping process for the replacement top/sink. The sink/top/base set was scheduled to be delivered again on August 2. However, on August 2nd the shipper called to say that now the base (which they had in their possession for nearly 2 weeks) was damaged and nothing would be delivered. The shipper was to call back with confirmation of a reorder - no call. Nor has their been a response to my email to the previously helpful Emily. In summary, I paid for a sink/top/base set from RH in June. I paid for the base twice as a result of RH's mistakes, and although a refund has been promised for the duplicate payment, it has not been executed. Despite 3 scheduled deliveries (7/11, 7/25 & 8/2) I do not have the item. In the mean time, the customer service rendered by RH has been laden with unfulfilled promises as well as a few outright lies. I have spent hours and hours on the phone with RH and yet I still have paid for items that have not been delivered, items I never received, returned items that were faulty and shipping for their mistakes. And to top it all off - I haven't had a sink in the bathroom for over a month! I took it out for the July 11th delivery and you can't just put one of those back in temporarily! My kids are washing their hands in the bathtub - this has got to end!!!! BTW - they are in zip code 94925 if you want to make a complaint with the BBB (like I did).
Lake Oswego, Oregon

Poor quality dining room chairs - Restoration Hardware

Upholstered Dining room chairs from Restoration Hardware purchased in September, 2006, are less than 2 years old & they squeak! This happens everytime we sit down on 5 out of 6 chairs purchased. They have been used once/month (maybe). I weigh 110lbs, my husband 150lbs. Only remedy offered when calling the 800 # was to call a local furniture repair operation & pay for it ourselves. Terrible quality & service for the price: $2000 for 6 chairs. Do not recommend the Empire Camelback series. Won't buy anything from Restoration Hardware again. There is no local assistance at the retail store. Through the 800#, they have opened a "Product Information Request" through Customer Service. I received a tracking number & was promised a 48 hour turnaround for them to tell me if this was a pervasive problem & if they were going to do anything to help me. A week & a half later, I called & nothing had been done. I'm giving up as I realize now nothing will be. I plan to load up every Internet site I can find with my disappointment!
Nashville, Tennessee
$2000

Restoration Hardware Takes Pleasure in Frustrating Customers

We ordered a bedroom set from Restoration Hardware, to be delivered in 1-2 weeks (shortly after we moved to a new apartment). Our first "delivery" was delayed a week while we awaited an opening in the delivery company's schedule. Then, on the date slated for delivery, we received a phone call from the delivery company about a half hour after the scheduled delivery time informing us that both pieces were damaged and that the products would have to be re-ordered. We had a similar experience with the second delivery: again, we received a call after the scheduled delivery time informing us that again both pieces were damaged and had to be re-ordered. After another week or so, we contacted Restoration Hardware to inquire about the whereabouts of our furniture. At this time, they informed us that the furniture had been packed "with special care", but was on it's way to the billing address, not the shipping address. Because they were unable to re-route the shipment, we placed yet another re-order and proceeded to wait another week and a half for a new shipment. When the fourth shipment was sent, we contacted the delivery company ahead of time to ensure that the furniture was not damaged. Thankfully, this early contact saved us the trouble of once again cleaning out an entire room only to learn that the furniture was not coming. This time, one piece was undamaged and it was delivered. However, the remaining piece was once again damaged. After waiting yet another week, we contacted Restoration Hardware seeking information. They have now informed us that delivery will be 3-4 more weeks as they have got to ship the bed from across the country instead of the closer location from which they had been shipping our furniture to this point. Further, the customer service representative was so casually indifferent to our situation as to suggest that this shipment has a better chance of being damaged because it is travelling further. So now we will spend another month without a bed, without much hope of an undamaged piece of furniture at that point either. We have had to press for discounts, which they have periodically promised but for the most part refuse to grant until we have accepted delivery (and which we expect are empty promises). Overall, the customer service representatives have been incapable of handling our situation, offering "concessions" of 10% off the free delivery we had already secured on our order through a coupon and insisting that they could do nothing for us. We have had to initiate contact with them each time something has gone awry - they have never called us with information. Nor have they ever apologized for their incompetence (aside from those of the "sorry about your luck, nothing we can do" variety). Our experience with the company has been time-consuming, demoralizing and impossibly frustrating. We have survived our share of poor service but this experience with Restoration Hardware has been the absolute worst.

My imagine of this company being a respectable & high end company was wrong!!!!

Buyer Beware!!!!!

It amazes me that the company has a bed in a warehouse in California that it has been trying to sell for months, but they will not sell it to me because I live in Georgia. I have to receive products from their Baltimore warehouse, which is sold out of the bed I want.

I've offered to pay whatever extra in shipping it would cost. I've even gotten a quote to have the bed picked up and delivered to me by an outside contractor, but RH will not allow that. I asked if I could pay them to ship to their outlet near me. They said no.

I arranged to have the bed shipped to a friend in Arizona and a shipper to pick up from there, but RH won't honor it's warranty unless they assemble the bed and deliver it. How am I going to get an assembled bed from Arizona to Georgia in a cost effective manner? That's when I stopped trying to buy the bed. Equally as frustrating is that the customer service reps do not have the name, title and address of the most senior person at RH who handles customer service.

Gate keepers I understand, but why all the secrecy? Let me write you a letter even if you aren't going to read it!

I may have to return all my furniture purchased at Restoration Hardware due to poor service. I ordered a dining room table and have been waiting for 8 weeks, they just called and told me it ill be delayed another 12 weeks estimated. They also told me that my bedroom furniture is delayed another 4 weeks too.

#20454

I've had an almost identical experience with Restoration Hardware. It is an absolute joke of a retail establishment and the incompetence of its employees must run from the lowest of customer service representatives to the Chief Executive Officer - who probably sleeps on a Pottery Barn bed because he couldn't get his order right from RH.

Well, I hope CEO Gary Friedman sleeps warm at night all cuddled up on his undamaged timely delivered bed...while the rest of us poor suckers sleep on a $3000 mattress sitting on the floor! Someone needs to bring the RH Management back to reality - the quality of their furniture is NOT WORTH THE PRICE!!! Consumers are willing to pay the price in order to GET WHAT THEY WANT - this requires SERVICE!!! I will NEVER shop at RH again.

However, I have decided to set up my new bedroom in my nearest RH showroom. Since I have now owned a paid-for RH bed for two months (apparently) without yet even seeing it, I am convinced that it must have been mistakenly delivered to the showroom. I've paid for it...and I will sleep on it until RH is able to convince me otherwise - perhaps by delivering a bed directly to my place of residence. What a novel thought!

If the in-store employees are as incompetent and as unobservant as the warehouse workers, I will enjoy many sleep filled nights on my new in-store bed! Thanks RH!

Boston, Massachusetts
Restoration Hardware Shipping Service

Company has items on website that are not available.

I ordered some outdoor cushions from the Restoration Hardware website the other day- I spent a lot of time figuring out what sizes I needed in cushions and the quantities I needed of each one. The only reason I ordered these cushions and spent a lot of money was because one style of cushion was advertised at $19 each. I ended up ordering almost $600 worth of cushions. The next morning I receive an email saying that the $19 cushions are no longer available. Keep in mind that these cushions were the main reason I placed the order and I have no need for the rest if I can't get them. I called customer service and they told me that the cushions aren't available and that all of the others have already shipped and I will need to take them back to UPS and tell them I am refusing shipment. Next day: I happen to be curious to see what the website says about those "unavailable cushions" IT STILL HAS THE ITEM IN STOCK AND AVAILABLE TO ORDER!!!! How many others are wasting their time and ordering these items too? I almost feel like they have this "cheap" item on the site in order to get others to order multiple items and then they just cancel out the "cheap, but not really available" item. Are they being purposefully deceptive or are they just clueless about customer service, inventory, and how to manage a website? If they know an item is not available, they have an obligation to update the website immediately so that others don't have the same experience.
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Junior Reviewer
In January of this year I purchased a dressing table from Restoration Hardware. I stayed home from work to wait for delivery. It arrived damaged. They agreed to replace it, but still had exceptionally unflexible delivery policies ("We only deliver to your area on...

My mother in law accidentally threw out the Restoration Hardware gift certificate we gave her for Christmas, with the wrapping paper. I had the original receipt, so I headed into the store for a replacement.

Come to find out they do not refund nor replace Gift certificates. Apparently they have no way to track if the pice of paper had been redeemed. Funny business practice to not have an accounting department tracking transactions.

Suppose I find some card stock and print my own, or buy a $5.00 certificate and write in a few extra digits and get my $250.00 after all. I can scam them like they scammed me!

View more comments
Bridgeport, Connecticut

Restoration Hardware - Bad Customer Service, Can't meet delivery times

I experienced extremely bad customer service at Restoration Hardware. An item that was adverised "in stock" with 2 weeks delivery .. now 2 months ;ater and still no couch. No communication from them regarding delayed order that wasn't initiated by me calling or e-mailing them. Five different times, five different people told me they would call me back the next day and NO ONE ever did. Their computer systems are poor, each time I've called their computer says a delivery date that is now well in the past. They have no communication system with customers, or apparently with their vendors. I am so frustrated with them I will never order from them again. Not worth the frustration and I don't want to give my money to a company who has so little concern or regard for their customers. And I still have NO COUCH. eerrrr.

I've got you beat! I ordered (lots of) patio furniture on March 27th and have yet to receive one item!!

The printout of the order on the day it was placed showed two items would not be available until May 10th. Finally, on May 25th, I was told my items were being held to ship together...and several items were now backordered until July. The CS rep released the items in stock to ship (allegedly on that day) and I have still NOT received them to date (6/18). Tonight, I checked my order status after receiving an email announcing a "sale" on patio furniture to find that several items are now cheaper than when I ordered them.

The CS rep I spoke to tonight did price adjust the items...and told me I would not receive them until mid-August. REALLY???? On an order placed in March??? I had hoped to be able to sit on my patio THIS year.

Never again.

And had I known it would have taken this long, I would have purchased from another vendor. Sorry, RH, love the look, can't live with the lack of delivery.

I just experienced possibly the WORST customer service in years from the manager in your DC store, Claudia tonight when I entered your store to return an item. My experience actually started while I was waiting and observing her interactions with the previous customer, who like myself would end up having a difficult return due to Claudia’s very bad attitude and lack of care.

This poor man was sent in by his wife to return a few items and had been working with a different sales associate. When he gave up dealing with Claudia, his final request before storming out was “can you tell me when the customer service associate I had been working with is in next? She knows this order history.” Claudia’s response to this man actually started my anger. She replied “I can’t give out sales associate schedules.” I could not believe Claudia could not even be so helpful as to tell this man in his early 50s when the representative he had already been working with would be in the store next.

When I presented my item for return, Claudia’s attitude seemed to be pent up frustration left over from the previous customer when she said “I’m only giving you $318 back.” No explanation. That was it. I said “I paid $344.” She retorted snidely “We don’t give returns on shipping.” I had told her that I had called your 800 number before coming in and was told by a rep named Mary that I would get everything back.” Then Claudia had the absolute audacity to tell ME to drop MY attitude and that “she was trying to help me get my money back,” as if to say my return within the 30 days was somehow not permitted. She got someone on the phone who she seemingly set up to tell me the same thing, saying ‘some mystery representative told him he gets shipping back.’ I was already angered by Claudia’s attitude when I spoke to the rep.

Your franchise is doing no one any favors by having these kinds of employees. Plenty of better natured folks are out there to hire. In fact, Andre, at your now closed Alexandria store was such a help when I made my $3,000 bathroom renovation purchase. All I was trying to do this evening was return a $344 towel rack, and I got oh so much more from Claudia, who clearly does not enjoy here job.

In Claudia’s opening remarks to the rep on the phone, I could hear the rep ask her how her day was, and her response was a begrudging “Oh you have no idea.” This low level of professionalism is something I would expect from Target, NOT Restoration Hardware. I am thoroughly disappointed by your store and I know I have choices- I am not done remodeling my bathroom and other rooms in my condo and will happily take my business to Room and Board, West Elm or any of the other home furniture stores with 100% better customer service that what your DC store offers.

View more comments (1)